(Last updated 11/12/21)
PESTICIDE APPLICATOR TRAINING (PAT)
All private farmers who apply restricted use pesticides must be certified once every five (5) years. The training is a cooperative effort by UW-Extension, DATCP, and local Co-Ops and suppliers. Training sessions are usually offered in January, February or March of each year in Columbia & surrounding counties.
There are several certification options listed below. Please contact the Columbia County Extension office to register for the Columbia County session. The in-person training fee of $40 is only payable with cash or check when you pick up your materials. The Zoom or self-study on-line trainings are $30. Please note that we have attendance limits at each location and occasionally a session is cancelled due to lack of registrations. You will be notified if there is any change in your chosen session.
PAT Manuals are available at the Columbia County Extension Office, 112 E. Edgewater St., Rm. 212, Portage, WI or online at https://patstore.wisc.edu/secure/browse_cat.asp?category_id=30. You are encouraged to purchase and review the manual before you attend a training session. The exam is based on both the manual and the training program. If you are unable to attend one of the sessions, you may schedule a time to take the self-study exam at the Extension office, exam times are limited. Registrations must be received by the registration date for each session.
To register, please email or phone Sarah Millard, providing the name, phone number and email (if available) for all participants. If you have internet access, you may also register on-line at this link: https://forms.gle/YcM1D7vShE8e9C7U8.
Sarah Millard, Administrative Assistant; 608-742-9688; email@example.com
IN-PERSON TRAINING & TEST OPTION – $40 (cash or check only)
Attend a training session hosted in our tri-county area of Dodge, Columbia and Sauk counties. Register at the County in which you will be attending.
- Dodge County | Wednesday, January 19, 2022 | Juneau Community Center, 500 Lincoln Dr. Juneau, WI | Call 920-386-3790 to register.
- Columbia County | Tuesday, March 22, 2022| Arlington Agricultural Research Station, N695 Hopkins Road, Arlington, WI | Call 608-742-9688 to register or on-line at: https://forms.gle/YcM1D7vShE8e9C7U8.
- Each applicator must register through the Extension Office.
- Purchase a General Farming Training Manual for the Private Applicator. Cost is $30.00.
- Cost for in-person training is $10.00
- Each session begins at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM. At the conclusion of instruction, you will take an open-book examination (50% minimum passing score).
ZOOM TRAINING WEBINAR with PAT Program Manager – $30
December 7, 2021; January 25, 2022; February 15, 2022; March 15, 2022; April 5, 2022.
All Zoom webinars start at 9:00 AM.
- Registration is open and required.
- FREE to those who have purchased a General Farming Manual – (that has the registration form still intact!). Computer or Smart Phone.
- Schedule an exam at the Columbia County Extension Office. Minimum passing score is 50%.
SELF-STUDY ON-LINE TRAINING – $30
- Online training is FREE in 2022 once you have purchased the manual.
- Purchase a General Farming Manual.
- Registration is required. Available at any time. General Computer or Smart Phone.
- Schedule an exam at the Columbia County Extension Office. Minimum passing score is 70%.
Call 608.742.9688 to schedule an exam appointment. Exam appointment times are limited. Testing will take place at the Columbia County Administration Building, Columbia County Extension, 112 E. Edgewater Street, Room 212, Portage, WI. Plan for about 2-1/2 hours total.
More information on Pesticides can be found at:
- Wisconsin Pesticide Applicator Training: University of Wisconsin-Extension’s Commercial Pesticide Applicator Training program
Columbia County Extension
112 East Edgewater Street, Room 212
Portage, WI 53901
Office e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
TTY/TDD: 711 for Relay